Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Days of our Lives




Are Measured in Simple Things
The day the hay is cut, the day the hay is baled, when we plant pumpkins, all make me think of the slow march of time.One day your planting potatoes and the next you are harvesting them. The years roll around and you find yourself doing the same thing. To the right, Leo and I harvesting potatoes in August 1991. The bundle Leo is carrying is Zack at two months. This was his first foray into farm work. To the left is Leo harvesting potatoes in June 2010. I was not sitting in the shade drinking mint juleps, I just stopped to take the picture. And Zack, well he was in the barn weighing potatoes. He and Casey came down for the weekend to give us a hand. Many thanks. For your dining pleasure, this years potatoes are Yukon Gold, German Butterball, and Rose Gold. The earlier red, purple and gold potatoes no longer have names. As you can see, we've been at this awhile, and sometimes the names plum elude me, or is that potato elude me?

No comments:

Post a Comment