Friday, May 20, 2011

Requiem for Holstein

Services were held for Holstein the Barn Cat this morning.  I've been calling him for 3 days and he hasn't shown up for meals.  Holstein is usually the first one to the feed station.  He comes trotting up whenever I call him.

I began to worry yesterday evening and told Leo that it was highly unusual and all.  This morning he drug himself as close as he could get to the feed station and then slipped away.  He came to tell me that he was trying to answer my call.  It was the best he could do.

Holstein and his two brothers adopted us.  We don't know why, but we've fed the three of them for a year.  Holstein was never as pretty as his brothers or as handsome as his mother.  I think if he was up for adoption he wouldn't have been the first choice.  But, beauty is only skin deep and Holstein was always the cat who tried to be a good farm cat.  He never tried to come in the house, or sneak into the food dish.  He was affectionate while you were feeding him, and left the other cats and chickens alone.

Most cats would like to have families.  Adolph, his brother would like to move into our house.  Rocky would like a family with a little girl, so he could get a lot of love.  Holstein was happy being a barn cat.

Thanks Holstein for letting me know.  You were a good barn cat.  That'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment