Thursday, October 6, 2011

CSA October 5, 2011 - People and Planet

What's in the box?
Delicata/dumpling or ornamental edible squash, sweet corn - with ear worms), tomatoes, potatoes, onions or leeks, eggplant, peppers (both hot and sweet),  Romano beans, basil, apples or pears and basil.

This week's special gifts:
Pear Butter

Fall is always a season of sadness for me, I can see the summer crops coming to an end and the new fall crops are several weeks or months from being ready, depending on the weather.

Luckily, I got the tomatoes picked just before it started raining.  These rains spoiled this weeks strawberries, and the hail did not do anything good.  I believe we have one more week in October and then I will have to say goodbye to all of your till next year.

I will still deliver you dried corn flour and polenta when it comes back from the mill.  But for now the corn is still drying down. 

For me, this has been one of the hardest seasons I have had.  The pig damage cost all of us dearly.  My season was reduced by half.  The loss of some key crops due to their damage and the sudden weather changes has kept me running in a race that I knew I couldn't win.  I hope for a better year next year.

Please, if you are going to sign up again for next year, see Mike and leave your deposit so that I know how many families to plant for.

Well, I'm cold and wet and muddy.  I'm going to hop in the shower.  See you in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment