Thursday, September 8, 2011

September 8, 2011 People & Planet CSA

What's in the box? 
 Melons, Leeks, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Peppers-Sweet and Hot, Eggplant, Basil, Flowers, Carrots.

This week's special gift:  Mustard & Eggs

Peppers - Green Jalapenos-Hot, Bulgarian Peppers-sort of hot, Red Peppers-mild.  These are Sheepsnose Bells, perfect for a salad or little stuffers.


Leeks
This is the last week for leeks and these leeks are the difficult to find Juane de Pitou yellowish leeks.  They were rediscovered in a small village near Alsace, France where William Woys Weaver was hunting regional vegetables.  They were very popular in the 18th century and thought to be another vegetable that disappeared, but a French seed shopkeeper and her neighbors would eat no other kind and so another vegetable preserved for the love of eating.  So go ahead make yourself a bowl of foudue aux porreaux!

Here on the farm we are busily transforming beds from summer to fall.  Canning up tomatoes for all kinds of wonderful treats.  I have started harvesting dry beans and and my first peek at the polenta corn.  The squash have all come out of the fields, and you can look forward to some great varieties to taste.   A seedsaver from New Zealand send me a Whanga Crown Melon, which I'm pretty sure I've never seen in any store.

Speaking of heirloom vegetables, Leo and I are going to the Heirloom Vegetable Exposition in Santa Rosa next week.  Anyone who wants me to add something to the farm, let me know.  I hardly ever get to see a pile of seed vendors in one place.  And I'm hunting the best vegetables.  Have a great week. 

1 comment: