Wednesday, July 27, 2011

CSA - July 20, 2011 - SCVWD





What's in the Box
Tomatoes!  Yes, I know, they're small, but finally they are here!  Sungold Cherry Tomatoes, White Wonder Cukes; a few Poona Keera Cucumbers, Romanesco Zucchini, very early tomatillos, Yukon Gold Potatoes, Mill Creek Red Onions, Mara des Bois Strawberries, Trinity Sweet Corn, a few Santa Rosa Plums, and Paris Market Carrots.


This week's special gift:  Plum Jam and eggs.  I know, I said there would not be eggs, but the 4 blue house hens just decided to start laying again.  After they become broody, it always takes awhile for them to snap out of it

Mill Creek Onions
These onions bred by local nursery owners Joe and Wanda Turi, who have since died.  The were rescued by Ellen of Golden Rule Garden.   I don't know many places that are growing these yet.  I really like them.  We're doing a big onion trial here this fall, always on the look-out for good onions.

It won't be long before the leeks are ready and I see melons in your future.  Been a very very busy week here,  I think before long the Wednesday group is going to have to go every week.  Any objections?  Let me know.  This week we got a lucky break and got free compost from Zbest.  This compost will be used only on the hay crops, but the field has needed it for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment