Wednesday, August 8, 2012

SCVWD CSA August 8 and People and Planet CSA August 9, 2012

Juane de Doubs

What's in the box 

Mara Des Bois strawberries, Pink Bella Dona Lillies, Onions from the Onion Trial this week it's Colorado de Amposta (a storage onion from Spain.  (Yes, you can store these for months!) , Zucchini - Romanesco is ribbed, Genovese is light green, Nano Verde di Milano is dark green, and the round one is Tondo,   cucumbers - Delicatesse, White Wonder and Poona Kheera,  and Lemon! carrots from the carrot trial this week it's Juane de Doubs a yellow carrot OR Berlicum a huge orange carrot, peppers - Anaheims, tomatoes, tomatillos,  New Zealand Spinach or lettuce, and finally French filet green beans.

There were some eggs this week.  Don't blame the chickens, it's hot and I wouldn't want to sit in a nest box either.  We have actually lost chickens when it gets this hot.  They try to get on the nest and just succumb to the heat.  I have to go and kick them off several times a day.

This week's special gift:  Berry Jam or Apple Butter.   Enjoy these while they last.  Since we don't have our own apples, these come from Prevedelli

Carrot Trial
Squash in a hammock
Next week:  Grapes!  and Corn! Spaghetti Squash!

I actually thought the corn would be ready this week, and well it will be, but not till Saturday.  This French carrot seeds for Juane de Doubs came to me from Canada.  Unfortunately, my dear friend Dan passed this year and will not longer be sending me his fine seeds.  I'm going to try to keep these going so that I can send them on to other farmers.  I think this is a good carrot.  Love to hear from you as to what you think of the carrots or onions!  The carrot trial itself is a riot of flowers that smell like honeydew vine water.

As it is extremely hot and I'm working on the fall garden, the blog for the next couple of weeks will be together.  If there's something substantially different in the Thursday CSA, I'll put it at the end tomorrow. 

Here on the farm, I've been canning, knitting squash hammocks, starting seeds and irrigating like a madwoman.  When it cools down, we'll be ready to transplant.  In the trays:  Broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, rutabagas, beets, chard, lettuce....and there's a whole line of seeds just waiting for my attention.


Have a great week.  Watch for heat! 


No comments:

Post a Comment