Thursday, June 30, 2011

CSA June 29 - People & Planet

What's in the box:
Sand Hill Lettuce, Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach, Golden Beets, Dinosaur Kale, Greenville Rhubarb, Romanesco Zucchini, Casey's Walla Walla Onions, Peas, Potatoes, Purple Glazer Garlic, and Flowers.

Folded Comb Hatches a Clutch
This weeks special gifts:  Eggs and Lemon Rosemary Cordial.

It's been a hectic week on the farm.  First of all we've had a farm inspection.  The first one ever from the Gubermint.  What an ordeal.  I am not only going to write a complete post on it, but I may never get over it.  If you really want to know, check back later.  I'm still to angry to compost a diatribe.  And believe me, there's lots of things I've had to compose and compost in my life.

Lemon Rosemary Cordial
I have branched into putting up some of my favorite summer drinks.  This one is not very sweet.  At home I fill frosty glasses full of ice, fill them half way with cordial and top them off with bubbly water and a slice of lemon.  Leo sometimes makes ice tea and uses this to top it off.  Finally, it makes a good mixer for adult drinks.  I think this one mixes at 1-1.  Leo of course says 2 parts water to 1 part cordial.  Have it your own way.

Greenville Rhubarb
This is the only week for rhubarb.  However, I have put in another dozen plants of various kinds hoping that we have more weeks of rhubarb in the future.  I also have made June in Jar and Strawberry Rhubarb Jam for the coming weeks.

Strawberries are here.  Send a pint sour cream, yogurt, or ? plastic tub with your name on the bottom of it in with your bags if you want them.  Please Please Please do not take your names off of the bags.  If you need to remove tag, put it in bottom of bag.  Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Costata Romanesco Zucchini
After growing summer squash for 20 years, we have finally found the zuke of my childhood, much better tasting; clearly better textured, nutty, and delicious, raw or cooked.  Forget inspid zukes!  This one is delicious grilled, in bread, in pancakes, in frittata.  I have not found a recipe that I have not preferred it in.  

Zuke, Sunflowers & Beans
Zuke Gratin
 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, plus extra for topping
 1  yellow onions, cut in 1/2 and sliced
 2 zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick 
 2 teaspoons salt
 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
 1 T. all-purpose flour
 1/2 cup hot milk
 3/4 cup bread crumbs
 3/4 cup grated cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a very large (12-inch) saute pan and cook the onions over low heat for 20 minutes, or until tender but not browned. Add the zucchini and cook, covered, for 10 minutes, or until tender. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes. Stir in the flour. Add the hot milk and cook over low heat for a few minutes, until it makes a sauce. Pour the mixture into an 8 by 10-inch baking dish.
Combine the bread crumbs and Gruyere and sprinkle on top of the zucchini mixture. Dot with 1 tablespoon of butter cut into small bits and bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and browned.

Zucchini Quick Pancakes
Grate a Zucchini and lightly salt it.  Let it sit on a napkin or paper towels till the moisture is absorbed.  Grate a 1/4 c. of hard cheese.  Mix the zucchini, cheese some pepper and a handful of Italian herbs.  Add them to your favorite pancake recipe.  (I thin my pancake recipe a little to make these).  Griddle them up and watch them fly.  This is a favorite camping recipe of ours.  It makes a lovely Saturday lunch.  If we're having these as a side dish, I add garlic.  Of course, even I don't eat garlic for breakfast!

Coming soon:  Corn and cukes.   Have a great week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment